Last March 14, 2020, 25 brave hospital staff that included 3 doctors underwent a 14-day quarantine period after providing needed medical care and transferring a Person Under Investigation or PUI to the Lung Center. The patient eventually was confirmed to be a CoVID-19 infected patient. Their self-confinement ended with not one exhibiting symptoms related to the virus.
This is a testament to the sound policies that were adopted by Dagupan Doctors Villaflor Memorial Hospital (DDVMH) to protect the doctors, nurses, ancillary and support staff, as well as their patients and visitors. These entail the following:
- Implementing processes and protocols that are aligned with guidelines of the Department of Health, Philippine Society for Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, World Health Organization and other relevant health agencies.
- Re-organizing areas and traffic flow in the Hospital to ensure adequate screening and separation of possible CoVID-19 patients from other patients and the hospital staff
- Providing frontliners with the necessary Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), which has been proven to be effective in protecting healthcare providers as they handle CoVID-19 or potential CoVID-19 patients.
- Regular supply of vitamins to strengthen body resistance of the staff.
- Proper re-training in infection control for frontliners and support staff.
All these measures have proved to be effective in safeguarding the patients and hospital staff from the health risks brought about by this global pandemic.
DDVMH has been grateful to the doctors and hospital staff for their strict adherence to these policies that has allowed the Hospital to maintain its safe environment for everyone.
Right Information, Adequate Equipment, Vigilance, Resolve – the keys to combating CoVID-19
Richard J. Lirio, MHA
Chief Operating Officer